Hey, it’s Gavin. It is all about Pinterest at Jumpwire at the moment. Three of our team members are researching this. We had no idea how big Pinterest is becoming and the more we dig the more impressed we are.
Things we learned this week:
- Instagram now lets you save live videos from your account.
- If you have an iPhone 7 with Live Photo capability, you can create 1.5 second long videos when you snap a photo. You can upload these as a Boomerang to Instagram. Genius hack.
NEW Social STATS! (Yulia) –Great infographic
- 2.8 billion active social media users around the world
- 37% global penetration — 22% increase from last year
- Facebook – 75% of users spend 20 minutes or more on FB
- Instagram – 53% of users follow brands
- YouTube – now reaches more 18-34 and 35-49 year olds than any cable network in the USA.
- Twitter – 53% of Twitter users never post an update
- Pinterest – best longevity: half life of a pin is 151,200 minutes (vs. 24 minutes of a Tweet or 90 minutes for a Facebook post).
- Linkedin – 45% of people making $75k or more a year use Linkedin vs only 21% of people making less than $30K per year
- Reddit – 64% of Reddit users are under age 30
Read. This. Dark Horse No More: Three Reasons Why Pinterest Is Killing It (Brenna)
2. REDDIT LOVERS NOT IMPRESSED:
You piss off Reddit and you are in big trouble. Big trouble. Like huge. Reddit is adding Facebook-style profiles and loyalists aren’t happy about it (Duncan)
3. YOUTUBE CAN’T BE TRUSTED:
4. TWITTER MESS:
Snapchat is eating Twitter’s lunch and it ain’t pretty. Snap Passes Twitter Among Advertisers, Gets Buy Rating (Duncan)
5. RUSSIA SOCIAL MEDIA EXPERTS?:
Did the Russian government use social media botnets and a human troll army to post millions of posts to Twitter and Facebook lauding Donald Trump and criticizing Hillary Clinton? Well, did they? Yes, yes they did. Did Russia Just Run The World’s Greatest Social Media Campaign? (Vladimir)
OWNING THE INTERNET THIS WEEK:
Here is a video of two twin toddlers escaping to have a pillow fight. The best part is when the dad comes in to put them back in their cribs and they escape instantly.
Get the top social news stories straight to your inbox once a week. Subscribe to the Jumpwire Media Newsletter.
Have a great weekend!